The purpose of the resin system is to transfer load from fibre to fibre, and also to carry the load from the fibre composite to an insert, edge member or fitting. The choice of the matrix system will depend on a number of factors, to name a few:
- The structural requirements of the part,
- The cost implications of the project or part,
- The mixing, handling, lay-up, tooling and curing procedure required,
- The type of service environment required or expected,
- The aerodynamic or cosmetic requirements,
- The service life expected or required.
Most of the resins used in composites are a combination of several resins and various additives.